Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Montana and Memories

This blog will be the first in a series from my wonderful trip to Montana to chase my first mule deer.  Did I succeed?  Well, you will just have to visit the blog several times in order to figure that out.

That trip taught me so much about life, being a man, and serving a loving God.  As a man, husband, and father, I have a responsibility to live my God-given days in a way that matters.  I heard someone make a statement that I cannot remember exactly; however, here is my best paraphrase -- you only get one life; however, if its well-lived, then you do not need another.  I appreciate that comment because it makes us focus on the things that really and truly matter.  What are those things?  Your wife.  Your family.  Your testimony about God.  The things that do not matter, unfortunately, are the ones where we spend most of our time and energy.  This trip made me do some thinking.

One place that we went to look for mule deer -- since I do not want to reveal the name of this location and expose my friend's great spot, the name will be changed and may or may not bear any resemblance to the actual location -- was called Risky Ridge.  This place involved many climbs, draws, descents, and, as the picture below reveals, snow.

I have always wanted to hunt in the snow, and this trip gave me the chance to cross that off my list.  Now, from what I have been told, this snow was not "normal Montana" snow that is powdery.  It was, instead, wet and crunchy which created its own issues with hunting.  Yet, it was that very snow that made me do some thinking....

The second day that we were on Risky Ridge, I found a boot print of mine from the day before.  I paused and took this picture below.


That icy footprint was a legacy that I left on that ridge the day before.  As a man, husband, and father, I leave a legacy EVERY day with my family and so do you.  The question that you must ask is this -- am I putting the right imprint on my family, friends, and coworkers every day?  Every choice and every decision that you make leaves a clearly defined imprint.

That factor was further explored in my Scripture reading as I was flying back to the East Coast.  I was reading the last words of David and found this prayer in 1 Chronicles 29:19 -- "give my son Solomon a loyal heart to keep Your commandments and Your testimonies and Your statutes."  He wanted his son to have a legacy of devotion to God, and that is exactly the same for me.  Thus, I have to modify my lifestyle to ensure they see my commitment to Him.  My actions - not my words - are what they watch and how they learn.

This hunting trip, literally, brought new meaning to the phrase "watch your step."  Be intentional in your steps and leave the legacy that you certainly want.  Is that what you are doing right  now?

No comments:

Post a Comment