Friday, December 2, 2016

Am I Fit to Hunt?

A life-long dream was about to become reality as I was headed to Montana for my first-ever visit to that state, and I would be hunting mule deer (also a first for me).  After spending some time on Google Hangouts with my friend and seeing the topography that I would face, I knew I needed some help getting in shape; however, I had no idea where to turn.

In using my Twitter account, I ended up following an organization called Fit to Hunt (see the picture to the right so you can find them too).  I spent some time on their page reading through who they were and what they were doing.  I then visited their website to gather more information, and that's where the journey began.  I sent them a Direct Message on Twitter wanting to talk to someone, and I loved that initial phone call.  They did not try to "sell" me anything but wanted to answer all of my questions, which they did.  They also wanted to learn more about my planned hunt -- where, when, elevation, terrain, etc.  Those factors would matter in the individualized plan they prepared for me.

After that call, I decided to go with them and their "virtual training options."  Now, before you think this strange, understand that I work in the virtual education sector; so it made perfect sense for me.  Here's where the fun began -- they adjusted their program to what I had.  Now, I did acquire some suspension straps and those things really give you a challenge because you are using your own body weight and have to focus on stability throughout the exercises.  I was ready to go, but they wanted to do one more thing before starting.

I had the chance to talk to Jeremy and he wanted to learn more about my health (height, weight, injuries, etc).  It was at that point that he heard about my surgically-repaired knee and the bone on bone action in that joint.  He immediately recognized that standard cardio (e.g. running) was not going to work for me, so back to the drawing board he went.  Before passing me off to my personal trainer -- Nicholas -- they helped me adjust some of the exercises in the 6 week program to help me out with the cardio piece.

That six week program had some exercises that I did not recognize, so I had the chance to talk them through with Nicholas.  They sent me videos to help explain proper technique and regularly followed up with me via text. I really appreciated their workouts (other than the pistol squats -- for the record, I hate pistol squats).  They, if done properly, will make you so sore; however, I would learn later the value of this awful things.  Even in those moments, notice how they reached out to encourage and motivate you with your goals using Twitter.  We all need these gentle kicks in the seat of the pants to get us going -- did I mention that I despise pistol squats?


I needed that motivation, especially after I faced an unanticipated injury.  My church has a softball team and needed one more guy, so they reached out to me.  I agreed to do so and, one night, I was charging hard at third.  I went into a slide and was safe; however, I felt this pop in my ankle -- oddly enough, the last words from my wife before taking the field were "don't slide."  Instead of tending to it quickly, I played 3 more innings; and it swelled like a balloon.  That delayed my training somewhat by minimizing steps with a heavy pack, and it created weakness in ankle stability.  Jeremy thought about that, made me a video, and sent me instructions of exactly what to do.  Those simple exercises made a HUGE difference for me.

When the time finally arrived and I made it to Montana.  I overdid it on the first day.  I had not anticipated appropriately the distance walked to start hunting (3 miles in to reach the property), the snow that had fallen creating some deep drifts, the ups and downs on the ridges to get into habitat draws, the felled trees due to a fire years ago making the terrain more strenuous, and the mud that was a result of the melting snow.  Needless to say, I underestimated the effect of the terrain on my knee.  When I reached out on Twitter, they responded quickly with encouragement:


As we moved locations to one where the hike was not as long but much more steep, I wanted a reminder of those helping me along the way; so, I wore my Fit to Hunt hat that day.  My friend who was with me made me pose for this picture as the sun peeked over the horizon.  I was standing at the point of our highest elevation after having climbed two ridges.  For reference, that elevation was higher than the highest point in my home state.  Little did I realize the great things that would happen that day.

We found some mule deer and had to change our tactics.  I can only describe them as "brush busting" and "post holing."  We had to backtrack to a new ridge, descend some on the other side, move through thick aspen groves ("brush busting") while crossing snow drifts over my knees ("post holing").  Just for a frame of reference, I stand 6 feet 4 inches tall!  When we finally emerged, the deer had disappeared from the last location we had glassed them.  We were fatigued and disappointed until we saw does walking up the ridge opposite us. Quickly, I got into a shooting position and watched 6 does move up that ridge hoping that the buck would be the last one out.  He was!!  I finally got a shot at 320 yards and let the lead fly.  He was hit, walked 30 yards, and laid down.  My Savage Trophy Hunter XP rifle and Nikon scope did their job to perfection.  While a 4x4 and not the biggest mule deer you will ever see, he was the biggest one that we saw the entire 9 day trip.


The picture of the successful hunt above was just the beginning.  Yes, the animal was down, but we had to get him out.  After cleaning the deer, we had to retrace all of those steps -- remember "brush busting" and "post holing" -- but, this time, packing out an animal up and down for 4 miles.  By far, this was the most physically punishing thing I have ever done. The knee was already fatigued from several days of hunting (and this was day two up the ridges on this new terrain), and a stiff, cold wind decided to kick up as we started out.  The elevation, the steps, the extra weight, the fatigue...it all hit and the self-doubt started.  I paused at one point and posted a quick update on Twitter and, once again, Jeremy came back with an encouraging kick in the seat of the pants -- "You do not train to be free of pain.  You train to develop endurance."  Yep, I needed to remarks to keep heading down. Once I reached the bottom of the tallest ridge, we had more more ascent and descent; and the last picture shows we got back after sunset.  Frankly, I do not like descending an unfamiliar hill with snow and mud in the dark, but we made it!




I could not have made it without help from Fit to Hunt.  When I was able to get that pack off and celebrate (with 2 Mountain Dews...sorry, Jeremy, I know that was not part of my training plan), I found this on my Twitter account from them.  In short, they said I was Fit to Hunt because they made me that way!!  All the worry about the knee and the ankle was removed due to the training that they provided me.  This success was their success too!!


If you are looking for a trainer, I can recommend Fit to Hunt without reservation.  You may be worried about the "virtual trainer," but you should not be.  While they may not be in the same gym with you, their emails, texts, and Twitter responses are more than enough to keep you focused on the end goal.  I found the folks at Fit to Hunt highly professional and competent experts that are willing to listen to you and adapt the program that will maximize results for you.  They do not force you into their box but reshape that box to fit you.

Choose them and begin your own success journey where you can definitively answer the question "Am I Fit to Hunt?"  If you partner with them, then answer will be YES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment